Friday, October 5, 2018

Note to Ford: Great Idea for AV Esperanto

Far be it from me to compliment an auto company, but here goes: Ford is doing the world a major favor by spearheading a serious effort to establish a common language - or rather a set of symbols, colors, or images - for autonomous vehicles (AVs) to communicate TO - not with - pedestrians, bikers, and other road users (those not in vehicles). There are several reports out, but I like the detailed article posted on the Automotive News site.

I thank Ford Motor Company for its practical approach. Ford has been working on this for years and it is currently testing its pedestrian-message signals in Pittsburgh. Is Ford patting itself on the back? Fine, whatever. 

All about public acceptance

Ford understands the value of public trust. This desire for trust is a major reason why AV pilot programs - whether shuttles or car based - have low speeds and human monitors. The recent report, M City Driverless Shuttle - A Case Study, states: "Driverless shuttles have a future only if they are trusted and used by riders, and trusted and accepted by other road users." (p. 6) In fact, M City basically acknowledges that it was not technological advancement that prompted the pilot, but rather - apart from being cool and somewhat in the forefront - "understanding passenger and road user behavior while ensuring a safe deployment."

What about pedestrian-to-AV communications? 

My question to AV manufacturers and tech engineers is what to do with the humans who will continue to be in the mix. To use a crass example, when I yell out "you jerk!" to a driver, with body language commensurate to such a message, the driver comprehends what I am saying without having to actually hear me. He or she might not like the message, but it is understood. What if I find myself in an emergency and I wave for an AV to stop? Will the AV - possibly without a human passenger inside - comprehend my loud shouting and gestures?

Are companies also working with the recognition that communication must be more than one way?


No comments:

Post a Comment