Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Non-affiliated - #2 Comment in Response to NHTSA's ANPRM

Here is a summary of a comment submitted by individual on his own behalf in response to NHTSA's ANPRM, and not submitted for a business, non-profit, or advocacy group.

Test until proven - on racetracks

Lawrence Theisen submitted a comment. I think that I found out who this is, but, because I am not certain, I will not write about the individual whom I discovered through a roundabout search. I will guess that Mr. Thiesen is knowledgable about the auto industry as he submits his comment from an affluent suburb near Detroit. (No comment of my own about the Detroit suburbs as I am generally snarky about suburbs in general and I did not fall in love when I did spend time there.)

Mr. Theisen offered a brief comment that suggests that "motorsports," meaning auto racing, is the prime venue/activity for autonomous vehicle (AV) testing and has served in this capacity, unofficially, in the past. 

Once [AVs] can handle these conditions; starting and managing driving in packs on the tracks and entering and leaving pit lanes safely, recognizing vehicle issues (flat tires, accidents and visual queues (flags and lights), they should be ready for limited on-road testing.

Mr. Theisen additionally requests that NHTSA pay attention to cybersecurity so that hacking while traveling down a highway is not a worry. I think that we can all agree on that.

My NHTSA ANPRM Tally - thus far

  • 1 comment from a professional association
  • 1 comment from an individual

Next: A comment originally published in the Chemical Facility Security News.

As of today, NHTSA has received 11 comments and the deadline is Feb. 1, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment